Skip to Content
Scan the QR code using the NZ COVID Tracer app when you enter campus.
Only download the ebook if you need to read it offline (i.e. when you are not connected to the Internet). Reading the ebook online is easier and offers more options for printing, copying and annotating.
Note: Some EBSCOhost ebooks are restricted to one simultaneous user. If the user limit is reached, you will see a message like this: “Sorry, this title is not available for download. Please view the title online”. You may download up to 50 EBSCOhost ebooks at a time.
Here's how to tell if you have an EBSCOhost ebook (and not one from another platform). EBSCOhost ebooks have a download link that looks like this:
1. If you have not already done so, download Adobe Digital Editions software
Note: Library and Massey computer lab computers will not allow you to install or authorise Adobe Digital Editions. In these shared computer environments, follow the instructions to download the ebook .acsm file, but do not open it. Instead, email the .acsm file to yourself, or save it to your personal directory (H: drive) or USB stick. Other public computers may also not allow you to install software like Adobe Digital Editions.
2. If you have not used Adobe Digital Editions on your computer before, you need to authorise your computer to read the ebook content:
a. Open Adobe Digital Editions, click Help, and select Authorize Computer
b. In the window that opens, tick the box in the lower left corner that reads I want to authorize my computer without an ID
c. Click Authorize
3. Search Discover to find the EBSCOhost ebook you wish to download. In the detailed record, click on Full Download.
4. In the window that opens, select a checkout period of up to 7 days, and tick PDF for the format.
5. Tick the box next to I have Adobe Digital Editions or equivalent installed
6. Click the Full Download button
7. Click the Close button
8. Minimise your browser window and open Adobe Digital Editions
9. Under Bookshelves on the left, make sure All Items is selected. The new ebook should appear in the window on the right.
If your ebook does not show in Adobe Digital Editions:
a. Check that you have authorised your computer to read protected content (see step 2)
b. Click File, then Add to Library. Navigate to your Downloads folder and find the .acsm file. Click Open.
Page authorised by University Librarian
Last updated on Tuesday 18 February 2020