Skip to Content
Scan the QR code using the NZ COVID Tracer app when you enter campus.
Only download the ebook if you need to read it offline (i.e. when you are not connected to the Internet). Reading the ebook online is easier and offers more options for printing, copying and annotating.
You may download an unlimited number of Ebook Central ebooks at a time.
Here's how to tell if you have an Ebook Central ebook (and not one from another platform). Ebook Central ebooks have a download link that looks like this:
1. Search Discover to find the Ebook Central book you wish to download. Click on Ebook Central under Status
2. On the book's home page, click the Download Book button
3. In the window that opens, select the device you are using, and whether you are using your own computer or a public computer. Click on Continue
4. If you have not already done so, download Adobe Digital Editions:
a. Click Get Adobe Digital Editions and follow the directions. If you already have Adobe Digital Editions, click Done with this step
Note: Library and Massey computer lab computers will not allow you to install or authorise Adobe Digital Editions. In these shared computer environments, follow the instructions to download the ebook .acsm file, but do not open it. Instead, email the .acsm file to yourself, or save it to your personal directory (H: drive) or USB stick. Other public computers may also not allow you to install software like Adobe Digital Editions.
5. From the Loan Length dropdown menu, select the number of days you would like to keep the ebook.
6. Click Download
7. Minimise your browser window and open Adobe Digital Editions
8. If you have not used Adobe Digital Editions on your computer before, you need to authorise your computer to read the ebook content:
a. Open Adobe Digital Editions, click Help, and select Authorize Computer
b. In the window that opens, tick the box in the lower left corner that reads I want to authorize my computer without an ID
c. Click Authorize
9. Under Bookshelves on the left, make sure All Items is selected. The new ebook should appear in the window on the right.
If your ebook does not show in Adobe Digital Editions:
a. Check that you have authorised your computer to read protected content (see step 8)
b. Click File, then Add to Library. Navigate to your Downloads folder and find the .acsm file. Click Open.
Page authorised by University Librarian
Last updated on Friday 26 July 2019